Customer Experience Program Curriculum
Customer Experience is multi-faceted and relies on the strong relationships you build with your customers. The University of Richmond's Customer Experience Certificate Program meets the same high academic standards of the University of Richmond graduate programs, with a challenging interdisciplinary curriculum designed to prepare Customer Experience professionals to excel in their field.
Roll up your sleeves to solve real-world challenges and use practices developed by top companies.
Module 1. Introduction to Customer Experience
Discover the concept of customer experience and the definition used throughout this program. Find out what makes a beloved company and the essential elements that endear these brands to us.
- Identify customer experience leaders and laggards.
- Discuss what sets these types of experiences apart from others, making you less likely to advocate for a losing brand.
- Create your comparison scorecard to help identify critical elements that set leaders apart from the rest.
Module 2: Customer Experience Strategy for Success
Learn why Customer Experience isn’t a project with a start and end date, and why this isn’t a “state of mind” – it’s a state of your organization and it starts at the top. Integrating customer experience into business strategy, and skillfully executing, leads to enormous rewards. You’ll achieve higher customer engagement, reduced churn, increased revenue, and greater employee satisfaction.
- Develop insights into what a customer-centric organization looks like and how to get there.
- Discover elements that comprise an effective and strategic customer experience plan.
- Create critical goals and roadmap to help reach your customer experience vision.
Module 3: Your Customers, Their Journey
Customer Experience Journey Maps are arguably the most important instrument for capturing your customer’s true interactions, emotionally and cognitively, with your company’s brand. Discover your customers and their experiences, and use these strategic tools for communications, analysis, planning, management, and innovation.
Module 4: Accelerate & Improve Decisions With Data
Customer Experience initiatives fizzle quickly if you don’t connect the dots between your customers’ perceptions, touchpoints, service delivery, cost savings and ROI. Customer churn rates, share of wallet, Net Promoter Scores, average handling times, and cost of acquisition, can and need to tie to your bottom line and to get the “yes” vote from your C-suite.
- Explore leading practices that drive ongoing business improvements.
- Link customer perceptions with operational costs and profitability.
- Discover the most relevant, actionable metrics for your organization.
Module 5. Customer-Focused Innovation
Customer-Focused Innovation is the perfect blend of theory, practice, strategy and invention. Innovating on behalf of your customers doesn’t start with a problem statement – it starts with your customers. Learn to use empathy techniques to break through the culture barrier at your company, and close the “knowing-doing” gap.
- Apply creative strategies that support innovation and break down roadblocks.
- Gain insights to understand the needs, wants and expectations of your customers.
- Work to improve customer experience while adding value customers will rave about.
Module 6: Principles Of Customer Relationship Building
Customer Experience is multi-faceted and relies on the strong relationships you build with your customers. Use the Customer Relationship Development Model to identify and define core elements to build relationships and improve overall experiences. Through collaboration and ideation, create a maturity matrix designed specifically for your business.
Module 7: Customer First Culture
Today, the customer is almighty. Now is the time to educate yourself and your workforce to create a customer-first culture that positions you for the greatest, longest-term success. This isn’t “blowing up” the culture you already have – it’s embracing what you have and acting together to make a difference in how your brand is perceived. Enjoy this creative session to deconstruct cutting-edge cultures and set the vision and goals for your own.
- Accept the reality that your customer experience will never exceed your employee experience.
- Engage the hearts and minds of your people in fun and exciting ways.
- Define “how to work together” to deliver your brand promise and great customer experiences.
Module 8: Navigating Politics Of Change
Change is hard, people are resistant and the market is becoming more fiercely competitive every day. Organizations must quickly evolve or be left behind. It takes a special leader to navigate these waters and get your entire organization marching to the same drummer. Are you ready? Arm yourself with these indispensable leadership skills.
- Discover how to drive adoption across your entire organization.
- Successfully jumpstart your role by gaining quick wins, and bring others along with you.
- Become a successful change-agent for experience-first thinking and inspire change.
Capstone Project & Your Customer Experience Portfolio
During the program, you’ll work on your capstone project to apply your learnings - your Customer Experience Strategic Plan. This extensive document is ready for your unique input. Each program module leads into a highlighted section of the plan. By the end of the program, you'll have a practical blueprint, ready for execution and critical to the success of incorporating the CX framework into your company.
You'll also build-out your own Professional Customer Experience Portfolio, completed throughout the hands-on activities in the program.